How to Access Public Records | Greene County, New York How to Access Public Records | Greene County, New York

How do I? – County Clerk

How do I renew driver's license or vehicle registration?


Stop in at the local Department of Motor Vehicle office. For even greater convenience, when you receive your renewal notice from New York State, simply fill out the enclosed forms, make out your payment check to “Greene County Clerk”, and mail the pink envelope to:


Marilyn Farrell
Greene County Clerk/DMV
411 Main Street, 2nd Floor Suite
Catskill, NY 12414



Why? Because Greene County receives 12.7% of each transaction: generating revenue for the county, keeping your local taxes down. Several years ago, New York State took over renewals, costing the county over $150,000 in lost revenue per year. You can help us recapture that money.

When you “RENEW LOCAL FIRST”, you:

  • Get fast reliable service from our professional employees
  • Support our local workforce
  • Keep your dollars in Greene County, offsetting local property taxes

How do I exchange my out-of-state license for a NYS license?


You can exchange an out-of-state driver’s license or Canadian driver’s license for a NYS driver’s license if the driver’s license has your photograph, the driver’s license is not suspended or revoked and the driver’s license:

  • has been valid for at least 6 months, or
  • has not expired in the past 12 months, or
  • is a valid CDL and has been valid for any amount of time.

How do I keep my driver’s license up-to-date while in the military?


Automatic Military Extension: A valid NYS driver’s license is automatically extended when you are on active military duty. Your driver’s license does not expire and is extended during your active service. Your driver’s license is also extended for a maximum of six months after your discharge from military service. Complete form MV-75 (Military Service Notification) to inform the DMV to update your driver record. The DMV will keep your driver record after the expiration date of your driver’s license.

How do I get a disabled parking permit/license plates?


You and your healthcare provider can complete the application form MV-664.1. You also can have your healthcare provider (MD, DO or DPM) complete a statement on their letterhead. The statement must describe the disabling condition and verify that the disability qualifies according to the law. For a parking permit, bring the form or statement to your village, town or city clerk. There is no fee for a permit. Remember that neither the DMV nor the County Clerk issues the parking permits.

How do I get vehicle plates for the disabled?


  • Bring the proof of your disability (either form MV-664.1 or the statement from your healthcare provider) and current vehicle plates to any DMV office.
  • Bring your proof of identity.
  • Complete the application form, pay $28.75, and surrender your current vehicle plates.
  • Vehicle plates for disabled persons are issued only for vehicles registered in the name of the disabled person.
  • Each disabled person can have one set of vehicle plates.

Who is eligible for vehicle plates for disabled persons or a parking permit for disabled persons?


The NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law defines the permanent disabilities that qualify. If you have a permanent disability that qualifies, you can get vehicle plates for reserved parking from the DMV or a parking permit from your local government. It is illegal to park in a parking space reserved for persons with disabilities if you do not have the correct vehicle plates or parking permit. You can use the vehicle plates or parking permit in New York State and in most other states.

Does my ATV require registration?


An all-terrain vehicle (ATV) is any self-propelled vehicle that is manufactured for use on off-highway trails. These vehicles are less than 70 inches wide and weigh less than 1,000 pounds. You must register an ATV to drive the vehicle on public property or private property in NYS. An ATV that is only used for agricultural purposes or not-for-hire snow removal on private property does not require a registration. A registration for an ATV that was issued in another state to a resident of that state is valid in NYS.

To register an ATV in NYS, bring the following items to a DMV office:

  • Acceptable proof of ownership. (Read the information that appears below).
  • Proof that the NYS sales tax was paid or proof of the purchase price of the ATV. If you purchased the ATV from a dealer, the bill of sale from the dealer can indicate that the dealer collected the NYS sales tax. If you purchased the ATV from a private seller, the seller and the buyer complete form DTF-802 (Statement of Transaction for Sales Tax). You can also show your proof of exemption or proof that the tax was paid. (Get more information about sales taxes on DMV Forms.)
  • A completed form MV-82 (Registration / Title Application).
  • Proofs of your identity and your date of birth.
  • Cash, a check or a credit card to pay the registration fee and the required sales tax.

Does my boat require registration?


The law requires you to register any boat that is motor-driven and is operated on public waterways in NYS. The boat requires a registration even if the motor is not the primary source of propulsion. If you operate the boat in NYS, you must register the boat with the DMV. After you register your boat, you receive a registration certificate that indicates the registration number assigned to your boat and a set of registration stickers.

You must paint or attach the registration number to each side of the bow of the boat. The characters must be:

  • block letters not less than three inches high,
  • a color different from the hull and easy to see,
  • legible from 100 ft. away during the daylight hours,
  • the only number on the front half of your boat.
  • You cannot transfer the registration number to another boat.

The registration sticker shows the month and the year that the registration expires. Attach each sticker in line with the registration numbers on each side of the hull, and three inches toward the stern of the boat.

How do I get a driver’s license?


The process to apply for a non-commercial driver license in NYS includes the following steps:

  1. Apply for a learner’s permit. Pay the application fee and the driver’s license fee. Pass the vision test and the written test. Receive your permit.
  2. Practice for your road test.
  3. Take a driver education course or a DMV-approved pre-licensing course.
  4. Use your driver education certificate or pre-licensing course certificate to make an appointment for your road test by phone or on-line.
  5. Pass your road test and receive your NYS driver’s license.

Important Links concerning driver’s licenses:

Online driver’s manual
Required Identification for driver’s license/permit
Info for junior drivers
Schedule a road test on-line
Information for a Motorcycle driver’s license
Information for servicemen

How do I access public records?


  •  Many of our records are now available online for your 24/7 convenience.  To access the online records go to:  and log on as a guest. 
    • Before continuing, please note the following important information:
    • You may search for and view available records at no charge. Simply log in as guest. If you wish to print copies of documents (example: a copy of a deed or a mortgage), a fee will be charged ($5 per document if you are not a commercial subscriber). You will need to provide your credit card information. Note: This information does not go to the County Clerk.
    • Searches are done by name. The County Clerk’s Office does not index by tax parcel or address.
    • For historical records (ie: Grantor Indices 1800-1991, Deeds Book 489-765) please use the Indexbooks tab at the top of the search screen. Indexbook fees: 50 cents per page.
    • Please note that not all records maintained by the County Clerk are public records.  Access to some records may be limited and or require proper identification.  Please call us at 518-719-3255 if you have any questions about public access to records. 

The following is a list of the records that are physically and/or electronically available at the Office of the County Clerk.

  • Building Loan Agreements
  • Certificate of Assumed Business Names (DBA)
  • Certificates of Partnership
  • Convictions
  • Court Records
  • Deeds
  • Divorces
  • Federal Liens
  • Judgements
  • Land Records
  • Lien for Common Charge
  • Mortgages
  • Military Discharges
  • Mechanic Liens
  • Notice of Pendency
  • Release of Estate Tax Liens
  • Redemption Certificates
  • Survey Maps
  • State Tax Warrants
  • Tax Delinquency – In Redemption Proceedings
  • Uniform Commercial Codes
  • Welfare Liens